The Yellow Wallpaper eNotes Reading Response Prompts
- Release Date: February 26, 2020
- Subjects: Language Arts and Literature
- Age Levels: Grade 10, Grade 11, and Grade 12
- Pages: 9
- A woman writing in her journal is the narrative voice in the story. Where is she when she writes the first journal entry? Why is she there? How would you describe her mood and the tone of her writing as she begins her journal?
- How does the narrator describe the differences in personality between herself and John, her husband? What is her attitude toward him at the beginning of her journal? What appears to be their relationship and her position in their marriage?
- Why is writing in the journal so important to the narrator? Why must she keep her writing a secret?
- How does the narrator describe the house and grounds of the estate where she is living? Describe the bedroom John chooses for them. Why does she hate it?
- According to the narrator, what would make her feel better? Why does John ignore her judgment? Why do you suppose she submits to the treatment he imposes on her?
These eNotes Reading Response Prompts are designed to encourage your students to read more effectively and with more pleasure by giving them interesting subjects to write about after they have read. Many of the prompts will take them directly into the text, while others will give them an opportunity to express their thoughts and feelings and to reflect on their own experiences.
A second purpose of the eNotes Reading Response Prompts is to facilitate instruction in ways that work for you in the classroom. The organization of the prompts makes them easy to use, and the content and construction of the prompts are designed to develop students’ knowledge and academic skills.