Last Updated on June 8, 2022, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 199
- What does the doctor say about Frances’s health?
- What is Hindley’s reaction to the doctor’s news?
- What happens to Hindley after Frances’s death?
- What happens to Frances’s baby?
- Why is Catherine upset that Heathcliff is taking the day off?
- Why does Catherine claim that she doesn’t want to spend time with Heathcliff?
- What does Catherine do to Edgar?
- What does Edgar do later that night?
- Why is Catherine conflicted about accepting Edgar’s proposal?
- Why does Heathcliff run away?
- The doctor says that Frances is ill and will soon die.
- Hindley refuses to believe the doctor and insists that Frances is getting better.
- Hindley becomes a violent drunk and terrorizes the whole household.
- Her son, named Hareton, is put into Nelly’s care.
- Catherine knows Edgar will be stopping by and dreads another encounter between him and Heathcliff.
- She tells Heathcliff that his lack of education makes him a boring companion.
- Catherine instinctively slaps Edgar.
- Edgar proposes to Catherine.
- Catherine loves Heathcliff, but she feels that she cannot marry him.
- Heathcliff only overhears Catherine say that she cannot marry him, and he leaves before she explains her true feelings.