Last Updated on June 8, 2022, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 277
- What is young Cathy’s personality like?
- Where does Cathy want to go?
- What steps has Edgar taken to protect Cathy?
- Why is Cathy upset to learn that Hareton is her cousin?
- Why is Nelly frustrated when Cathy mentions Linton at Wuthering Heights?
- Why can’t Edgar prevent Heathcliff from taking Linton away?
- What does Nelly tell Linton in order to persuade him to come to Wuthering Heights?
- What is Heathcliff’s plan for Cathy and Linton?
- Why is Hareton the perfect person for Heathcliff’s revenge?
- What does Nelly catch Cathy doing after their second visit to Wuthering Heights?
- Cathy is passionate, kind, and gentle. Unfortunately, her sheltered life at Thrushcross Grange has also made her somewhat naive and spoiled.
- Cathy constantly begs to be allowed to visit Penistone Crags, which she can see from her window.
- Edgar does not allow Cathy to leave the grounds and has told her nothing of Heathcliff or Wuthering Heights.
- Cathy is horrified to imagine that someone as coarse and unrefined as Hareton is related to her.
- Nelly knows that everything Cathy says will get back to Heathcliff, including the fact that Linton (Heathcliff’s son) is returning to the area.
- As Linton is Heathcliff’s son, Edgar has no legal claim to him.
- Nelly lies and says that Linton has never met Heathcliff because circumstance prevented Isabella and Heathcliff from living together.
- Heathcliff admits that he wants Cathy and Linton to marry.
- Hareton is perfect for Heathcliff’s revenge because, like young Heathcliff, he has admirable qualities which are not being realized.
- Nelly finds out that Cathy and Linton have secretly been exchanging love letters.