Chapters 10–12 Questions and Answers
- How has Heathcliff changed in the three years he has been gone?
- How does Catherine react to Heathcliff’s reappearance?
- Why has Hindley invited Heathcliff to stay at Wuthering Heights?
- What does Catherine do to embarrass Isabella?
- Why is Heathcliff interested in Isabella?
- How has Hareton changed since Nelly last saw him?
- Why does Catherine lock the door and throw the key into the fire?
- Why doesn’t Nelly say anything about Catherine’s deteriorating condition to Edgar?
- What is Edgar’s reaction when he finally sees Catherine?
- What does Isabella do at the end of Chapter 12?
- When Heathcliff reappears, he looks and behaves like a gentleman, having apparently acquired a fortune during his three years away.
- Catherine is overjoyed to see Heathcliff, though she chastises him for leaving her in the first place.
- Hindley has lost most of his money and, knowing that Heathcliff is quite wealthy, hopes to win money off him by gambling.
- Catherine tells Heathcliff about Isabella’s infatuation with him in front of Isabella.
- Heathcliff is interested in Isabella because she is the heir to Edgar’s estate.
- Hareton is now rude and mistrustful and swears at Nelly when she approaches him.
- Catherine wants Edgar to fight Heathcliff one-on-one.
- Nelly thinks Catherine is merely faking being ill for attention, and Nelly doesn’t want to indulge her.
- Edgar is furious when he sees how sick Catherine is and tells Nelly that he will fire her if she ever lies like that again.
- Isabella elopes with Heathcliff.