Last Updated on July 29, 2019, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 326
1. Which characters do you identify with and why?
2. Consider the animal characters' points of view and write a narrative about Dorothy's visit from their perspectives.
3. Create a poem or song about Dorothy's adventure.
4. Write a letter from Dorothy in Oz to Aunt Em and Uncle Henry.
5. Prepare a travel guide to Oz somewhat like the emigrant guides that pioneers in the American West used to navigate along the Oregon Trail and other travel routes.
6. Create a diorama of models of Oz places and buildings.
7. Research cities that either still have walls or used to, such as Beijing, Berlin, Paris, and Seoul, and write a report about why walls were built, who constructed them, and what materials were used. How did invaders breach walls?
8. Learn how geography can be used to achieve characterization through depictions of culture and how geography influences the way people such as farmers, laborers, or Manhattan executives earn a living. Write a journal entry from the point of view of an Oz character explaining how their location affects their life and how people in other parts of Oz perceive them. Are these perceptions always accurate?
9. Research the role of families in the nineteenth century. What was life like for young girls? What roles did pets have?
10. Compare traveling now with traveling in 1900 when Dorothy was in Oz. How has transportation changed? How many miles could a traveler cover in an eighthour period in 1900 and 2000? What traveling conveniences were available such as restaurants, hotels, gas stations, and paved roads? Draw a map that the characters could use to advise them of hazards and traveling conditions on the yellow brick road.
11. Create a mock trial of either the Wicked Witch of the East or the Wicked Witch of the West. Include several victims in addition to the defendant, plaintiff, judge, attorneys, and jury.
12. Prepare a series of questions and clues for a scavenger hunt to solve a mystery based on The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.