Last Updated on July 29, 2019, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 160
1. In a literary encyclopedia or dictionary look up the definition of a "Georgic." Apply the concept to The Winter Room.
2. Look up the definition of "pastoral" in a literary encyclopedia or reference work. Apply the concept to The Winter Room.
3. From Jim Trelease's Reading Aloud Handbook or a similar guide, get some advice on techniques of reading aloud effectively. Choose one of Uncle David's stories and prepare it for oral presentation.
4. The story ends with Eldon summarizing a new, enthralling Uncle David story. Write that story as you think Uncle David would tell it.
5. In a literary dictionary or encyclopedia look up the definition of a "legend." Apply the concept to David's story of "Orud the Terrible."
6. In the same source look up the definition of a "tall tale." Apply the concept to "Crazy Alen."
7. Write a description of a season as it happens in a certain environment: the city, the suburbs, a park. Write the description, imitating Paulsen's style.
Unlock This Study Guide Now
Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now.
- 30,000+ book summaries
- 20% study tools discount
- Ad-free content
- PDF downloads
- 300,000+ answers
- 5-star customer support