Topics for Discussion
1. Characterize the narrator's relationship with her father. Does it change over the course of the story?
2. What is the significance of travel to the narrator?
3. How does Munro use the first person narrator?
4. What would a typical day be like for the narrator? How does the day she describes in the story differ from a typical day?
5. Nora is a former girlfriend of the narrator's father. Describe what this means to the narrator, based on how she describes the event of going to visit Nora?
6. What constitutes lying? Do you think that the narrator feels any guilt about not telling mother about some of the events of the day she describes in the story?
7. Discuss the relationship between the narrator and her mother. Is it a conventional relationship?
8. Is the young girl narrating the story familiar to you? Is she like anyone you know? What is ordinary or exceptional about her?
9. How does Munro use place to ground her story?
10. Does the narrator have a generally trustful or mistrustful view of those around her?