Chapters 7-8: Questions and Answers
1. Why does Eliza take her time walking with Harry?
2. How does Aunt Chloe delay the preparation of dinner at the Shelbys?
3. How does Aunt Chloe react to Tom’s advice to pray for Haley?
4. What is Tom’s concern once he is taken away by Haley?
5. What does Mr. Shelby promise Haley?
6. What does Haley think is the hardest part of slave trading?
7. Describe Loker’s and Marks’s plans once they catch Eliza.
8. What does Haley request from the slavecatchers?
9. How does Sam explain the miracle of Eliza’s escape across the river?
10. What does Aunt Chloe do for Sam upon his return?
1. She takes her time walking with her son so as not to attract anyone’s notice that they are actually running away.
2. Aunt Chloe and her helpers cause numerous accidents in the kitchen to delay dinner.
3. Aunt Chloe says that she cannot pray for the trader’s soul.
4. Tom is worried that the plantation will not be run as effectively once he is gone.
5. Mr. Shelby promises Haley that one thousand dollars will be paid to him if Tom runs away.
6. Haley believes that dealing with children is the most difficult part of his profession, mainly because their mothers put up a fight or flee.
7. Loker and Marks plan on taking Eliza to New Orleans and sell her to the highest bidder.
8. Haley wants a percentage of their profits once they sell Eliza. Loker and Marks refuse.
9. Sam says that Eliza’s escape was helped by divine intervention.
10. Aunt Chloe cooks him a large meal.