Chapters 41-42: Questions and Answers
1. What is Legree’s initial reaction to Master George’s inquiries about Tom?
2. What had some of Legree’s other slaves been doing for Tom?
3. What does Tom request of Master George regarding Tom’s family?
4. What does Tom ask of Master George when the boy expresses his anger about Legree?
5. What does Master George bury with Tom?
6. Who are the “ghosts” that haunt the Legree house?
7. What image continues to terrorize Legree?
8. Why does Master George initially offer his assistance to Cassy?
9. What is Madame de Thoux’s purpose in going to Kentucky?
10. How does Cassy discover that her daughter Eliza had worked for the Shelbys?
1. Legree is initially angered by the fact that he lost money on Tom and accuses him of helping Cassy and Emmeline run away.
2. They had been trying their best to nurse Tom, giving him water to drink.
(The entire section is 304 words.)