Topics for Discussion
1. What is your first impression of the Professor, who so rudely rebuffs all questions about his remarkable voyage? Do you find your impression of him changing during the tale?
2. Is the Professor's account of the items he packs in the balloon realistic? What seems excessive? Is there anything lacking?
3. Why is the Krakatoan who finds the Professor on the beach dressed in such formal clothing?
4. What is the literal and proverbial meaning of the motto (non nove sed nove) on the coat of arms of Krakatoa?
5. What is the purpose of giving everyone an alphabetical name rather than an individual name?
6. What problems might arise in implementing a Gourmet Government in any country?
7. Why does the Professor pretend to be ill enough to stay in bed while telling his story to the club?
8. Do you respect the Professor's decision at the end of the book? Do you think that he will really take another balloon trip around the world?
9. Which of the ingenious inventions of the Krakatoans do you find the most interesting? The most desirable?
10. The Krakatoans land in a variety of places with their parachutes. Is this a satisfactory ending for their part in the story?