Last Updated on July 29, 2019, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 168
1. Betty Smith has said that she began writing A Tree Grows in Brooklyn after she read Thomas Wolfe's Of Time and the River. Read this, Wolfe's second novel, and compare it to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.
2. Look up a definition of naturalism in a good dictionary of literary terms. How is naturalism defined? Is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn naturalistic? Why or why not?
3. What are Johnny Nolan's strengths and weaknesses as a father? What do you like about him, and what do you dislike about him? Is he a good father?
4. Francie loves yet resents her mother, Katie, because Katie seems to love Neeley more. Is Neeley Katie's favorite child? Is Francie's response to her mother's wish for Francie to work and Neeley to go to high school justified? What enables Francie to become independent of her mother?
5. Katie's reasons for marrying Johnny Nolan differ greatly from her reasons for marrying Michael McShane. Assuming that Katie loved both men, what is the difference in that love?
Unlock This Study Guide Now
Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now.
- 30,000+ book summaries
- 20% study tools discount
- Ad-free content
- PDF downloads
- 300,000+ answers
- 5-star customer support