Chapter 1 Questions and Answers
1. Describe Calpurnia as Scout depicts her in Chapter 1.
2. What does Dill dare Jem to do?
3. What events led to Arthur’s being shut into the house?
4. Pretend you are writing a description of Maycomb for a travel magazine of the 1930s. Describe the town in detail.
5. The townspeople of Maycomb have some fears and superstitions about the Radley Place. Describe these fears and superstitions.
6. Whose idea was it to make Boo come out of the house?
7. How important is bravery to Jem?
8. Mr. Connor is described as “Maycomb’s ancient beadle.” What is a beadle?
9. What goal do the children plan to achieve before the end of the summer?
10. Describe some of the customs of the town of Maycomb.
1. Calpurnia has been the cook for the Finch family since Jem was born. Scout describes Calpurnia as all angles and bones, nearsighted, and owning a wide, hard hand which she used to discipline Scout. Scout says Calpurnia is “always ordering me out of the kitchen, asking me why I couldn’t behave as well as Jem . . . and calling me home when I wasn’t ready to come.”
2. Dill dares Jem to touch the Radley house.
3. Arthur and some other boys formed a group which was the nearest thing that Maycomb had ever had to a gang. They hung around the barbershop, rode the...
(The entire section is 518 words.)