Last Updated on October 26, 2018, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 320
1. Atticus is to defend a member of Calpurnia’s church. What is this person’s name?
2. What does Scout mean when she says “I was worrying another bone”?
3. Why does Atticus take a case which is causing so much dissension in the neighborhood?
4. How does Aunt Alexandra make Scout unhappy at meal time?
5. Who is Rose Aylmer?
6. Proponents of behavior modification believe that a way to reduce an undesired behavior is to ignore it. Can you think of an undesired behavior in Scout that Atticus sought to extinguish through ignoring it?
7. What is “Maycomb’s usual disease” that Atticus hopes that Scout and Jem will not contract?
8. Why does Jack say that he will never marry?
9. Compare and contrast the Christmas gifts that Jem receives and the gifts that Francis receives.
10. How does Jack punish Scout for fighting with Francis?
1. Tom Robinson is the member of Calpurnia’s church whom Atticus has agreed to defend.
2. Scout is concerned with something else.
3. He is asked to take the case, but more importantly, he would be ashamed not to do so. He has respect for himself and others.
4. Aunt Alexandra makes Scout unhappy by making her eat at the small table instead of at the big table with Jem and the adults.
5. Uncle Jack’s cat has the name Rose Aylmer.
6. Atticus tries to eliminate Scout’s “cussing” by ignoring it. In fact he tells Jack not to pay any attention to her either.
7. Maycomb’s usual disease is prejudice.
8. He plans never to marry so he will never have children. Scout has been a trial to him over the holidays.
9. Jem receives a chemistry set and an air rifle. Both are things to play with. Francis receives clothes. He also receives one thing to “play with”—a red book bag to carry his school work in. Francis’s gifts are more practical than Jem’s.
10. Jack spanks Scout.
Unlock This Study Guide Now
Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now.
- 30,000+ book summaries
- 20% study tools discount
- Ad-free content
- PDF downloads
- 300,000+ answers
- 5-star customer support