Chapter 19 Questions and Answers
1. Why is Dill crying?
2. How old is Tom?
3. What is Link Deas’ opinion of Tom?
4. What does Judge Taylor say to Deas when he speaks in favor of Tom?
5. What does Tom say that Mr. Ewell saw through the window?
6. Why does Scout take Dill from the courtroom?
7. What does Scout say is a sure sign of guilt?
8. What does Scout mean when she says Maycomb gives the Ewells “the back of its hand”?
9. Why was Tom afraid to push Mayella out of the way?
10. When Tom was approached by Mayella, he did something which Scout says was a sure sign of guilt. What was it?
1. Dill is crying because of the way that Gilmer treated Tom.
2. Tom is 25.
3. Link says that Tom had worked for him for eight years and he had not had “a speck o’trouble outa him.”
4. The judge throws Deas out of the courtroom.
5. He sees Mayella grab Tom and kiss him. Tom was trying to get away.
6. Scout took Dill from the courtroom because he began to cry.
7. Scout says that running is a sure sign of guilt.
8. Scout means that Maycomb gave the Ewells a slap. They gave the Ewells gifts but not in love.
9. Tom “would not have dared strike a white woman under any circumstances and expect to live long. . . .”
10. Tom ran, which Scout considers a sign of guilt.