Last Updated on October 26, 2018, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 265
1. Why do Jem and Scout hate Mrs. Dubose at first?
2. What does apoplectic mean?
3. What is Atticus’s advice to Jem when Mrs. Dubose angers him?
4. Atticus has a special way of greeting Mrs. Dubose which pleases her. Describe the greeting.
5. What things does Atticus require Jem to do to make amends for his rage?
6. What does Atticus say is the one thing that “doesn’t abide by majority rule”?
7. Why do you think Atticus brings Scout two yellow pencils and Jem a football magazine after their first session with Mrs. Dubose?
8. Why is Mrs. Dubose lengthening the sessions each time?
9. What is Mrs. Dubose battling?
10. What does Mrs. Dubose give Jem before she dies?
1. They hate Mrs. Dubose at first because she speaks rudely to them and criticizes Atticus and their family.
2. An apoplectic person is one who is likely to have a seizure or a hemorrhage.
3. He encourages Jem to take it easy and reminds Jem that Mrs. Dubose is old and ill. He tells Jem to be a gentleman.
4. He always says “Good evening, Mrs. Dubose. You look like a picture this evening.” (He does not say a picture of what!)
5. He requires Jem to visit with Mrs. Dubose and to read to her each day and work in her yard as she requests.
6. Atticus says that one’s conscience does not abide by majority rule.
7. He probably brings the gifts to thank them for the visit.
8. She is lengthening the time between her medicines.
9. Mrs. Dubose is battling morphine addiction.
10. Mrs. Dubose gives Jem a single white camellia.
Unlock This Study Guide Now
Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now.
- 30,000+ book summaries
- 20% study tools discount
- Ad-free content
- PDF downloads
- 300,000+ answers
- 5-star customer support