Ideas for Reports and Papers
1. Research the history of Los Alamos from its founding to the present and explain why it is called "The Atomic City."
2. Davey's friend Jane has a drinking problem. Contact an alcoholic prevention program in your area to find out about alcohol abuse among teenagers in the United States.
3. Read about Atlantic City, New Jersey, and Los Alamos, New Mexico. Discuss how the cities are the same and how they are different.
4. Stunned by Adam Wexler's death, the family travels to Los Alamos to recover. Blume's choice of Los Alamos is an ironic one. Why?
5. Tiger Eyes shows three major cultures in New Mexico. Compare how the three are presented in the novel and explain how they are alike and how they are different.
6. Read a book by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross. Write a paper on the "stages of dying." Discuss how the survivors pass through similar stages when a loved one dies.