Chapter 20 Questions and Answers
1. How does Sop-de-Bottom explain the town’s attack on Mrs. Turner’s brother?
2. How does the town make itself feel better after what they did to Janie?
3. How long had the town’s anger lasted against Janie?
4. What is the Everglades to Janie without Tea Cake?
5. What does Janie keep for herself from the Everglades?
6. What is love like, according to Janie?
7. What does Pheoby plan to do tomorrow?
8. What are the two things that everybody has to do for themselves?
9. What is Tea Cake wearing for a shawl?
10. Where is peace for Janie?
1. Sop-de-Bottom says that he wouldn’t have believed the rumors if Mrs. Turner’s brother hadn’t asked about Janie the minute he arrived in the Everglades.
2. The men beat Mrs. Turner’s brother and kick him out of town.
3. Their anger lasted two days.
4. The Everglades is now “a great expanse of black mud.”
5. Janie keeps a packet of garden seed that Tea Cake bought but never had a chance to plant.
6. Janie says that love is like the sea. It is always moving and it continually changes.
7. Pheoby plans to make Sam take her fishing tomorrow.
8. Janie says that everyone has “tuh go tuh God, and they got tuh find out about livin’ fuh theyselves.”
9. Tea Cake is wearing the sun for a shawl.
10. Peace is in “the kiss of [Tea Cake’s] memory.”