History of the Text

Download PDF Print Page Citation Share Link

The Book Thief’s Publication and Reception History: The Book Thief is author Markus Zusak’s most successful novel to date. Upon its publication, it became an international bestseller and was translated into over thirty languages. The novel received rave reviews and won myriad awards, including the 2006 Publishers Weekly Best Children’s Book, the 2006 National Jewish Book Award for Children’s and Young Adult Literature, and the 2007 Book Sense Book of the Year. In 2013, it was adapted into a major motion picture. 

Illustration of PDF document

Download The Book Thief Study Guide

Subscribe Now
  • Unique Writing and Narrative Style: The Book Thief received immediate praise upon its publication for its innovative writing technique and narrative structure. The story is told from the point of view of Death. Although traditionally viewed as dark and menacing, Death in The Book Thief is personified by his likability. In the opening paragraphs, Death writes, “I can be amiable. Agreeable. Affable. And that’s only the A’s.” 
  • Controversial Content: Zusak’s sympathetic portrayal of Germans during World War II has caused surprise. However, Zusak wanted to remind readers that there was another side to Germany besides Nazi Germany. Early on in the novel, Zusak clarifies this through Death’s narration: “In 1933, 90 percent of Germans showed unflinching support for Adolf Hitler. That leaves 10 percent who didn’t. Hans Hubermann belonged to the 10 percent. There was a reason for that.” 

The History of the Holocaust: The novel takes place in the midst of World War II (1939– 1943) in the fictional city of Molching, Germany. The history of the Jewish Holocaust greatly informs the heavy, dark subjects presented in The Book Thief

  • The Persecution of the Jewish People: When the novel opens in 1939, Adolf Hitler, the leader of the Third Reich, has implemented the Nuremberg Laws which renounced the German citizenship of those with non-Aryan blood. In addition, anyone deemed a danger to the nation, including millions of Jews, communists, socialists, homosexuals, and gypsies, were deported and killed in concentration camps throughout Europe. Although the main characters of The Book Thief are not Jewish, they are still persecuted for their political beliefs. Liesel’s father is a communist and is presumably killed in a concentration camp before the story begins. The Hubermanns are communists and Jewish sympathizers who are conflicted about whether to join the Nazi Party for their family’s safety. Their life-threatening decision to protect a Jewish refugee makes up the core of the novel, and reflects the experiences of many Jewish sympathizers during World War II who risked their lives to protect others. 
  • The Fictional Bombing of Molching: The novel reaches its conclusion following Germany’s invasion of the Soviet Union in 1941. Many of the characters in the novel, including Hans and Rosa’s son Hans Junior, are sent to Russia to fight in the invasion, a brutal period in which millions of soldiers died of starvation and exposure. While World War II would not officially end until Hitler’s death and Germany’s surrender to the Allies in 1945, the novel concludes with the Allied bombing of Munich and Molching, Germany, the fictional city in which the novel is set. 

WWII Historical Fiction as a Genre: In recent years, World War II historical fiction has become an increasingly popular genre for publication and for classroom learning. As generations pass and fewer young people have exposure to 1930s and 1940s history, authors and historians are taking effort to tell stories about WWII as a way of remembering and honoring the past. 

  • Markus Zusak’s Background: Australian author Markus Zusak (1975–) was born to immigrant German and Austrian parents who survived World War II. Many of their stories growing up in Vienna and Munich inspired the scenes and characters in The Book Thief . Zusak’s mother, for example, was like...

(The entire section contains 1164 words.)

Unlock This Study Guide Now

Start your 48-hour free trial to unlock this The Book Thief study guide. You'll get access to all of the The Book Thief content, as well as access to more than 30,000 additional guides and more than 350,000 Homework Help questions answered by our experts.

  • Summary
  • Chapter Summaries
  • Themes
  • Characters
  • Critical Essays
  • Teaching Guide
Start your 48-Hour Free Trial

Already a member? Log in here.

Previous

Key Plot Points

Next

Significant Allusions