Ideas for Reports and Papers
1. Research the history of LSD and other hallucinogenic drug use. What is the history of their use? What are the effects of these drugs on the brain and on the body?
2. Analyze Hinton's use of the technique of foreshadowing. When does Hinton use this technique? Does she ever give the story away? When is the foreshadowing most effective? Least effective?
3. How would the story change if it were told from Mark's point of view?
4. How do issues of race and gender influence relationships in That Was Then, This is Now? Consider Mike's story and the scenes in which Angela's hair is cut and Bryon is beaten up.
5. Betrayal is a major theme in the novel. Whose betrayal is worse, Mark's of Bryon or Bryon's of Mark? Is one more excusable than the other, or are both equally devastating?
6. What constitutes a literary tragedy? Is That Was Then, This Is Now a tragedy? What parts are most applicable to a tragic interpretation?