Phase the Sixth: The Convert, Chapters 45–52: Questions and Answers
1. Does Tess believe Alec’s conversion?
2. With what does Tess strike Alec?
3. What happens when the rick (or pile) of wheat is nearly ¬levelled?
4. What advice does Angel receive from the cosmopolitan Englishman he meets in Brazil?
5. What are the implications of John’s death?
6. To what figure does Alec compare himself when he surprises Tess in a field?
7. What is the story of the D’Urberville Coach?
8. What generally happens each Old Lady-Day?
9. Where do Tess and her family decide to make a new home?
10. What advice do Izz and Marian give Angel?
1. Tess cannot believe that Alec has truly been converted.
2. Tess hits Alec across the face with her rough leather gloves.
3. The rats which have taken refuge near the bottom of the rick must be caught. This activity sometimes draws a crowd of observers from the area.
4. Angel is told that he was foolish in rejecting a woman who loves...
(The entire section is 316 words.)