Phase the Seventh: Fulfillment, Chapters 53–59: Questions and Answers
1. How is Angel Clare’s health after his journey to Brazil?
2. What causes Angel Clare finally to reveal Tess’s noble blood?
3. What does Angel discover when he reaches Tess’s Marlott cottage?
4. Where does Joan tell Angel to seek Tess?
5. What does Tess say when Angel asks forgiveness for leaving her?
6. How is the death of D’Urberville discovered?
7. What does the bloodstain seem to resemble?
8. What is the location of the lovers’ temporary refuge from the law?
9. At what monument is Tess taken prisoner?
10. What two characters see a sign of Tess’s execution?
1. Angel is weak and emaciated after living through an attack of fever in Brazil.
2. After Mrs. Clare refers to Angel’s wife as a “mere child of the soil,” Angel tells his parents of Tess’s ancestry.
3. Angel discovers the Durbeyfields have been turned out of the cottage and that a new family is living there.
4. Joan tells Angel that Tess is living at Sandbourne, a fashionable seaside resort. Joan does not know the exact address.
5. Tess cries “Too late”—she has been won back by D’Urberville.
6. Mrs. Brooks, the landlady, notices a bloodstain and gets a local workman to go inside the room to see what has happened.
7. Alec’s blood, after leaving his body, takes shape as a large ace of hearts.
8. Angel and Tess take shelter at a mansion called Bramshurst Court that is being offered for rent.
9. Tess is captured at Stonehenge.
10. Angel and ‘Liza-Lu see a black flag, the sign of Tess’s execution.