Last Updated on May 5, 2015, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 268
1. What prevents Angel from going into Tess’s bedroom when he hears her breathing?
Writing an essay?
Get a custom outline
Our Essay Lab can help you tackle any essay assignment within seconds, whether you’re studying Macbeth or the American Revolution. Try it today!
2. Why does Tess reject thoughts of suicide?
3. Where does Angel carry Tess in his sleep?
4. To what country does Angel decide to go?
5. What comment does her father make upon hearing that Tess has returned home?
6. Whom does Angel ask to accompany him overseas?
7. What are Tess’s duties on the farm at Flintcomb-Ash?
8. What characters from Phase the First does Tess meet up with again at Flintcomb-Ash?
9. Who takes Tess’s boots?
10. Whom does Tess observe preaching at a local barn?
1. The fearsome, sinister-looking portraits of the D’Urberville ancestors, which remind Angel of Tess, cause him to turn back.
2. She does not want her action to bring suspicion or discredit upon Angel.
3. He carries her over a footbridge and into an open coffin.
4. Angel decides to go to Brazil, to investigate farming opportunities.
5. He asks if she really got married this time, or if her present relationship with Angel is like her liaison with Alec.
6. Angel asks Izz Huett to go to Brazil and live with him, but soon comes to his senses and rescinds the impulsive offer.
7. Tess must dig up turnip roots so they can be eaten by livestock. Her other duties include trimming and storing those roots, as well as reed-drawing.
8. The Darch sisters, Car (the Queen of Spades) and Nancy (the Queen of Diamonds), are also working at Flintcomb-Ash.
9. Mercy Chant takes Tess’s boots.
10. Tess spots Alec D’Urberville preaching to a crowd outside a barn as she walks back from Emminster to Flintcomb-Ash.