Act I, Scene 1 Questions and Answers
1. Who was in charge of the ship during the storm at sea?
2. Why did Alonso, the king, interfere with the Boatswain’s work in securing the ship during the storm?
3. Where did the Boatswain tell the king and his courtiers to go?
4. Who were the first to go to their cabins below the top deck?
5. What joke does Gonzalo tell concerning the Boatswain?
6. How does this joke affect the rest of the passengers and crew?
7. How do Sebastian and Antonio react to the Boatswain?
8. How does the Boatswain respond to Sebastian’s and Antonio’s insulting remarks?
9. How does Antonio decide to die in the storm at sea?
10. How loyal is Sebastian to his brother, the king?
1. The Ship–master was in charge of the Boatswain and the mariners.
2. The king was accustomed to being the supreme authority.
3. The Boatswain told the king and his courtiers to go to their cabins below.
4. Alonso, the king, and Ferdinand, the prince, were the first to go below and pray.
5. Gonzalo’s joke implies that the Boatswain was born to be hanged and need not fear drowning.
6. If the Boatswain does not drown, the rest of the passengers and crew will also be spared.
7. Sebastian and Antonio curse the Boatswain and call him names.
8. The Boatswain responds with “work you then” if they don’t like the way he is handling the job.
9. Antonio wants to sink into the sea with the king.
10. Sebastian wants to leave the king when he thinks the ship is sinking.