- Listen & Read Edgar Allan Poe’s ‘‘The Tell-Tale Heart’’ and Other Stories is an audio-cassette recording packaged with a book. Produced by Dover Press, 1996.
- ‘‘The Tell-Tale Heart’’ was adapted into a black-and-white film starring Sam Jaffe in 1980. It is available on video from Facets Multimedia, Chicago.
- In 1934, ‘‘The Tell-Tale Heart’’ was made into a movie entitled Bucket of Blood starring John Kelt as The Old Man and Norman Dryden as the protagonist.
- In 1956, producer/director Lee W. Wilder loosely adapted two of Poe’s stories,‘‘The Gold Bug’’ and ‘‘The Tell-Tale Heart,’’ in his movie Manfish.
- In 1962, ‘‘The Tell-Tale Heart’’ was made into a British movie by director Ernest Morris. Known as The Tell-Tale Heart, it also carries the alternate title The Hidden Room of 1,000 Horrors. It is available on video from Nostalgia Family Video.
- In 1969, ‘‘The Tell-Tale Heart’’ was made into an animated film narrated by actor James Mason. A Columbia Pictures release, it is also available on video.
- Another audio recording is available from Downsview of Ontario, Canada. Tales of Mystery and Horror features the voice of actor Christopher Lee. Produced in 1981.
Buranelli, Vincent. Edgar Allan Poe. New York: Twayne, 1961. This is a basic introduction to Poe's works, focusing primarily on his usual themes in both his fiction and poetry.
Carlson, Eric W., ed. The Recognition of Edgar Allan Poe. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1966. This is an invaluable collection of the best known and most influential essays on Poe and his work.
Davidson, Edward H. Poe: A Critical Study. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1957. One of the most intellectually powerful and thus one of the most influential studies of Poe, Davidson's book created a new respect for his work.
Hoffmann, Daniel. PoePoePoePoePoePoePoe. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1972. Although this is a highly personal and idiosyncratic consideration of Poe, it is worth reading as a psychological study of his tales.
Quinn, Arthur Hobson. Edgar Allan Poe: A Critical Biography. New York: Appleton-Century Crofts, 1941. This is the most authoritative and most trustworthy biography of Poe.
Thompson, G. R: Poe's
(The entire section contains 1016 words.)
Unlock This Study Guide Now
Start your 48-hour free trial to unlock this The Tell-Tale Heart study guide. You'll get access to all of the The Tell-Tale Heart content, as well as access to more than 30,000 additional guides and more than 350,000 Homework Help questions answered by our experts.
- Critical Essays
- Teaching Guide