Chapter 8: Questions and Answers
1. What had Valerian thought caused his wife’s sometimes strange behavior over the years?
2. What word does Margaret use to describe how it felt to torture her child? Why does she rationalize that her actions were acceptable?
3. What is the main focus of Sydney’s thoughts during this time?
4. As Valerian withdraws from life at L’Arbe de la Croix, what does he think of constantly?
5. What does Valerian want to cry? How do you interpret this term?
6. How does Margaret get rid of her guilt the morning after her secret was revealed by Ondine?
7. What explanation does Margaret give for her behavior?
8. What do Margaret...
(The entire section is 486 words.)