Chapter 2: Questions and Answers
1. Why had Jadine given a party in Paris two months before?
2. How does the black woman in the yellow dress sever Jadine’s attention?
3. How did Valerian’s island get its name? How do Valerian and Margaret disagree about its name?
4. How did Valerian’s uncles show their love for him?
5. When did Valerian say he would retire? Why did his plans change?
6. Where did Margaret’s red hair, disturbing to her father, come from?
7. Where did Valerian meet Margaret?
8. How did Margaret respond when the wife of one of Valerian’s friends asked her about her “school”?
9. What advice did the wife of one of Valerian’s friends give Margaret early in their marriage?
10. How did the soap opera Search for Tomorrow influence Margaret’s life?
1. Jade gave a party in Paris two months before coming to the island to celebrate her successes. She had just been chosen for the cover of Elle, a fashion magazine, and had passed her oral exams. She also had three impressive suitors.
2. The regal black woman in the yellow dress, showing no respect for Jadine, spits while staring at Jade.
3. The hills in the distance appeared to be alive with 100 French soldiers on horseback. Hence, Valerian said the name was the Isle des Chevaliers. Margaret argued that only one soldier rode a horse in the...
(The entire section is 463 words.)