Act I, Scene 1 Questions and Answers
1. Under what special circumstances does Act One begin?
2. Where do Lucentio and Tranio arrive in the first scene, and why have they come to this town?
3. Whom do Lucentio and Tranio witness quarreling?
4. Why will Baptista not give away Bianca at present?
5. How does Katharina treat the suitors of Bianca?
6. What scheme does Hortensio concoct in order to marry Bianca?
7. With whom has Lucentio fallen in love?
8. How does Lucentio intend to woo Bianca?
9. What is Tranio’s role in Lucentio’s plan?
10. How does Sly like the play so far?
1. Act One begins with Sly and his “wife” sitting above the stage in a loft, so as to view the play the Lord has prepared as entertainment for Sly.
2. They arrive in Padua, a city famous for its university. Lucentio has come to study philosophy.
3. They see two suitors, Gremio and Hortensio, speaking with Baptista and Katharina. Bianca speaks only four lines.
4. Baptista knows that if he does not...
(The entire section is 326 words.)