Book the Third, Chapter 1 Questions and Answers
1. What difficulties does Darnay meet at the beginning of his journey?
2. How does he finally reach Paris?
3. What decrees have been passed since Darnay has left England?
4. How is Darnay referred to by the officer in Paris?
5. Whom does Darnay meet in Paris?
6. What does Ernest Defarge say to Darnay?
7. What ominous phrase is connected with Darnay’s imprisonment?
8. What does Darnay learn of the King’s fate?
9. What does Darnay think of when in his cell?
10. What is this a reference to?
1. He is stopped innumerable times and forced to show his papers before he can proceed.
2. He reaches Paris under an armed escort.
3. Emigrants have lost all of their property rights and may be condemned to death.
4. He is referred to as “the prisoner.”
5. He meets Ernest Defarge.
6. He tells Darnay that he cannot help him because his allegiance is to the newly formed state.
7. The phrase is “in secret.”
8. He learns that the King has been imprisoned.
9. He thinks, “He made shoes, he made shoes, he made shoes.”
10. This is a reference to Dr. Manette’s long imprisonment.