Last Updated on October 26, 2018, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 202
1. What is happening at the beginning of Chapter 4?
Writing an essay?
Get a custom outline
Our Essay Lab can help you tackle any essay assignment within seconds, whether you’re studying Macbeth or the American Revolution. Try it today!
2. How does Darnay greet Lucie?
3. How does Dr. Manette look at Darnay? What does this mean?
4. What does their conversation reveal as the difference between Lorry and Carton?
5. What happens while Carton and Darnay are dining?
6. Why does Carton say that he hates Darnay?
7. Why do Stryver and Carton meet?
8. What does Carton say about Lucie?
9. What else does Carton complain about?
10. What does the final paragraph say about Sydney Carton?
1. Dr. Manette, Lucie, Lorry, and Stryver are congratulating Darnay on his acquittal.
2. He greets Lucie by kissing her hand.
3. He look at Darnay with “distrust,” “dislike,” and “fear.”
4. Lorry is a man of ambition who believes in “business,” while Carton, even though he has ability, lacks the desire to do anything.
5. Carton gets drunk and calls himself “a disappointed drudge.”
6. He says that he hates Darnay because Darnay reflects everything good that Carton could have been.
7. They meet because Carton does Stryver’s legal paperwork.
8. Carton calls Lucie “a golden-haired doll.”
9. Carton complains more about his life and that he is always behind everybody else.
10. It says that Carton has given up all hope of making anything of his life.