Last Updated on October 26, 2018, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 225
1. What is Charles Darnay’s occupation?
Writing an essay?
Get a custom outline
Our Essay Lab can help you tackle any essay assignment within seconds, whether you’re studying Macbeth or the American Revolution. Try it today!
2. What does this reveal about his character?
3. What do Darnay and Dr. Manette discuss?
4. How does Dr. Manette react when Darnay tells him that he has a secret to reveal to him?
5. What does Dr. Manette do after Darnay leaves?
6. What does this reveal about Dr. Manette’s character?
7. How does Lucie help Dr. Manette when she finds him at the shoemaker’s bench?
8. What does Stryver wish to confide to Carton?
9. What is Stryver’s opinion of Carton?
10. Why is this opinion problematic?
1. He is a tutor of French language and literature.
2. This shows that he is industrious and that he has not forgotten his past in France.
3. They discuss Darnay’s intention to marry Lucie.
4. He tells Darnay to wait until the morning of the wedding to reveal his secret.
5. He returns to making shoes.
6. It shows that he cannot forget his past, either; his way of dealing with this past is by returning to it.
7. She takes his hand and walks with him for a long while.
8. He tells Carton that he intends to marry Lucie.
9. Stryver has a low opinion of Carton, telling him that he lacks social grace and is “an insensible dog.”
10. It reveals Stryver as a hypocrite since it is Carton who does all of Stryver’s legal work.