Book the Second, Chapter 16 Questions and Answers
1. Why do the Defarges go to Paris?
2. What do they learn there?
3. What is distinctive about John Barsard?
4. Why does Madame Defarge put a rose in her hat?
5. What is Madame Defarge doing while she speaks with Barsard?
6. What does Barsard tell the Defarges about the Manettes?
7. How does Ernest Defarge react to this?
8. What would happen if Darnay and the Manettes were to come to France?
9. How does Madame Defarge feel about this?
10. What are Madame Defarge and the other women doing as the chapter ends?
1. They go to Paris to meet with “Jacques of the police.”
2. They learn that there is a spy in St. Antoine, by the name of John Barsard.
3. He has a crooked nose.
4. It is a signal to the Jacques that there is a suspicious stranger amongst them.
5. She is knitting his name, thus condemning him to death.
6. He tells them that Lucie Manette is going to marry the nephew of the Marquis.
7. He hopes that the Manettes stay in England.
8. They would be killed as nobility when the revolution arrived.
9. She is indifferent, saying only that they are registered.
10. They are “knitting, knitting, counting dropping heads.”