Book II, Chapter 17 Questions and Answers
1. Who is Bill’s friend?
2. Why had they been thrown out of the bar?
3. Why does Robert panic when he sees Jake?
4. What does Robert call Jake?
5. Who swings at Robert in the cafe?
6. Who wants to see Jake when he gets to the hotel?
7. How does Robert rationalize his behavior to Jake?
8. Whom does the bull kill?
9. What literary technique does Hemingway use to make the story of the bull stand out from the rest of the novel?
10. How many people are taken to the infirmary because of the bulls?
1. Bill’s friend in the reading is Edna.
2. Bill, Edna, and Mike are thrown out of a bar because they have been fighting with some Englishmen.
3. Robert panics at seeing Jake because Brett is no longer with him.
4. When Robert finds out Jake has fixed up Brett and Romero, he calls Jake a “pimp.”
5. Jake swings at Robert in the cafe.
6. Robert says he wants to speak to Jake.
7. Robert says he has acted badly because he is crazy about Brett, and she has treated him badly ever since San Sebastian.
8. The bull kills Vincente Girones, a man who is in town to see the bullfights.
9. In order to make the story of the bull distinct from the rest of the novel, Jake tells the story out of c
10. About 20 people are taken to the infirmary because of the bulls.