Last Updated on May 5, 2015, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 177
1. Where did Robert attend college?
2. What is Robert’s religion?
3. Who is the narrator?
4. Give three sports in which Robert excelled.
5. Why is Jake suspicious about Robert’s having been a middleweight boxing champion?
6. How many years did Robert stay in Europe?
7. Why does Frances change her attitude toward Robert?
8. What sport do Robert and Jake share?
9. What shows Frances’ jealousy?
10. What shows Robert’s insecurity at the end of the chapter?
1. Robert attended college at Princeton.
2. Robert is Jewish.
3. The narrator of the novel is Jake Barnes.
4. Three sports in which Robert had excelled were boxing, football, and tennis.
5. Jake is suspicious about Robert’s actually having been a boxing champion at Princeton because no one from Princeton seems to remember him.
6. Robert stayed in Europe three years.
7. Frances decides Robert would be a good catch because her looks are going.
8. Robert and Jake enjoy playing tennis together.
9. Frances becomes jealous of Robert when Jake mentions a girl in Strasbourg.
10. At the end of Chapter 1, Robert is afraid Jake is angry with him.
Unlock This Study Guide Now
Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now.
- 30,000+ book summaries
- 20% study tools discount
- Ad-free content
- PDF downloads
- 300,000+ answers
- 5-star customer support