Topics for Discussion
1. Why does Patty incriminate herself by showing the store clerk, Sister Parker, the ring Anton gave her?
2. Would you end this novel in the same way the author does, with Patty in jail, or would you construct some other conclusion?
3. How does Bette Greene achieve humor in her narrative? What purpose does the humor serve?
4. To what extent is Patty an ideal person rather than a realistic one?
5. Are Patty's parents portrayed fairly? Why does Patty feel that she is to blame for their jabusing her?