Ideas for Reports and Papers
1. Write a paper on the establishment and maintenance of German prisonerof- war camps in the United States during World War II.
2. Compare Summer of My German Soldier with its sequel Morning Is a Long Time Coming. Which is better? Why?
3. What was life like in America's prisoner-of-war camps during World War II?
4. Find as much biographical information about Bette Greene as you can. To what extent does Summer of My German Soldier reflect Greene's real-life experiences?
5. Are Patty's observational abilities beyond those of a twelve-year-old? To what extent, therefore, is the voice of Patty credible? Choose another character in the book and retell a chapter from this person's point of view.