Chapter 6: 1927 Questions and Answers
1. What was the social event that Helene Wright was preparing for at the beginning of “1927”?
2. Why did the Wright family not send invitations?
3. In which quartet did Jude Greene sing?
4. Where did Jude work?
5. What job did Jude want?
6. Why did Jude not achieve the job he desired?
7. Why were the old dancing with the young, the church women tapping their feet, and the boys dancing with their sisters?
8. How old was Jude at the wedding?
9. Who left the Bottom at the end of the wedding?
10. When would Sula return to the Bottom?
1. The social event that Helene Wright was preparing for
at the beginning of “1927” was the wedding of her only daughter, Nel.
2. The Wright family did not send invitations because everybody in the Bottom came.
3. Jude Greene sang tenor in the Mt. Zion Quartet.
4. Jude worked as a waiter at the Medallion Hotel.
5. Jude wanted a job as road builder.
6. Jude did not achieve the job he desired because of his color.
7. The old were dancing with the young, the church women were tapping their feet, and the boys were dancing with their sisters because of the spiked punch.
8. Jude was 20 years old at the wedding.
9. Sula left the Bottom at the end of the wedding.
10. Sula did not return to the Bottom for ten years.