Chapter 1: 1919 Questions and Answers
1. What event did Shadrack establish?
2. In what year did Shadrack receive his discharge from the hospital?
3. What did Shadrack feel the first time he encountered shellfire?
4. What were the two possible reasons that the hospital discharged Shadrack?
5. What were the charges the police listed for arresting Shadrack?
6. What road did Shadrack march down annually?
7. What two things did Shadrack carry on his trip down Carpenter’s Road?
8. In what year did Shadrack establish the national holiday?
9. What appeal did he give to the people of the Bottom each January 3rd?
10. What was the reasoning behind Shadrack’s establishment of National Suicide Day?
1. Shadrack established National Suicide Day.
2. Shadrack received his discharge from the hospital in 1919.
3. Shadrack felt only a tack in his shoe the first time he encountered shellfire.
4. The hospital discharged Shadrack because of his violence or another priority, such as the limited number of beds in the hospital.
5. The charges the police listed for arresting Shadrack were vagrancy and intoxication.
6. Shadrack marched down Carpenter’s Road annually.
7. Shadrack carried a hangman’s rope and a cow’s bell on his trip down Carpenter’s Road.
8. Shadrack established the national holiday in 1920.
9. Each January 3rd, Shadrack told the people this was their only chance to kill others or themselves.
10. The reasoning behind Shadrack’s establishment of National Suicide Day was to establish order because Shadrack was afraid of the unexpected.