Topics for Discussion
1. Why does Sacagawea refuse to take part in Running Deer's escape attempt?
2. Explain how the wives of Black Moccasin treat Sacagawea. What are their plans for her?
3. What happens to Sacagawea when she is kidnapped by Tall Rock from the lodge of Black Moccasin? How is she able to fend for herself?
4. Many times Sacagawea refers to her talisman while on the island. What is the talisman? What is Sacagawea's belief in it?
5. How does Red Hawk "lose" Sacagawea to Charbonneau?
6. What is Sacagawea's reaction to her forthcoming wedding to Charbonneau? How is her wedding different from the wedding of her brother when Sacagawea lived with her own Shoshone people?
7. Several times Charbonneau betrays the explorers he has been hired to guide. What are his motives? What do Lewis and Clark come to think of the Frenchman?
8. At what point does Sacagawea realize that she loves Captain Clark? Discuss the nature of their friendship, giving examples that show their regard for one another.
9. Why does Sacagawea take her son and leave the expedition upon its return to Fort Mandan?