Part 2, Chapter 5: Questions and Answers
Last Updated on October 26, 2018, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 208
1. How many times has Meursault refused to see the chaplain?
2. The guillotine reminds Meursault of what other type of device?
3. How does Meursault spend his nights in his cell?
4. What subject does Meursault wish he had read more about?
5. What does Meursault do after he refuses to see the chaplain?
6. Instead of a “divine face,” what image does Meursault try to see on the wall of his prison cell?
7. Does Meursault allow the chaplain to kiss him?
8. What happens when the chaplain touches Meursault’s shoulder?
9. When the jailers rush into Meursault’s cell, what do they do to him?
10. What does Meursault do after the chaplain leaves?
1. He refused to see the chaplain three times.
2. The guillotine’s shining surfaces and finish remind Meursault of some type of laboratory equipment.
3. He forces himself to stay awake, waiting for the dawn.
4. Meursault wishes he had read more accounts of public executions.
5. He thinks about Marie.
6. Meursault tried to envision Marie’s face, but he was never successful.
7. No, he does not allow the chaplain to kiss him.
8. Meursault grabs the chaplain and launches into an angry tirade.
9. They go to strike him but the chaplain begs them not to.
10. He falls into a deep sleep.