Part 1, Chapter 5: Questions and Answers
1. Where does Raymond want to go on Sunday with Meursault and Marie?
2. What does Meursault’s employer suggest during their ¬meeting?
3. How does Meursault feel about Paris?
4. What does Marie ask Meursault?
5. Does Meursault want to marry Marie?
6. With whom does Meursault eat at Celeste’s?
7. What does Meursault notice about the “robot” woman?
8. What was Salamano’s occupation?
9. According to Salamano, what do Meursault’s neighbors say about him?
10. Why did Meursault put his mother in the nursing home?
1. He wants to go to a friend’s seaside bungalow just outside Algiers.
2. The employer suggests that Meursault take a job in the new branch office in Paris.
3. Meursault has no interest in living in Paris. He thinks it is a dingy town with masses of pigeons and dark courtyards.
4. Marie asks Meursault if he loves her and if he will marry her.
5. Meursault doesn’t care. He says he doesn’t “mind” and agrees to marry Marie if it will make her happy.
6. The “little robot” woman eats at Meursault’s table in Celeste’s.
7. Meursault watches the robot woman study the menu, add up the bill, and march off down the street in a stiff, mechanical fashion.
8. Salamano worked for the railroad.
9. Meursault’s neighbors say “nasty things” about Meursault because he put his mother in the nursing home.
10. Meursault explains that he couldn’t afford to keep his mother at home. In addition, they never spoke to each other and she was “moping with no one to talk to.”