Part 1, Chapter 2: Questions and Answers
Last Updated on May 5, 2015, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 321
1. Why does Meursault worry about his employer when he wakes up on Saturday morning?
2. Who is Marie Cardona?
3. What kind of movie does Marie want to see?
4. How does Marie react when Meursault tells her about his mother?
5. Why does Meursault decide not to eat at Celeste’s on Sunday?
6. What does Meursault do when he’s alone in his apartment?
7. Who does Meursault see from his bedroom window?
8. How does the tobacconist sit on his chair?
9. What does the football fan say to Meursault?
10. How does Meursault feel about Sundays?
1. Meursault worries that his employer will be annoyed at him for taking two days off right before the weekend, even though it was for his mother’s funeral. He’s afraid the employer will think he’s taken a four day holiday for himself.
2. Marie Cardona used to work as a typist at Meursault’s office. He meets her at the swimming pool on Saturday and they see each other again that night.
3. Marie wants to see a comedy starring the French actor Fernandel.
4. Meursault notes that Marie “shrank away a little” when he told her about his mother.
5. Meursault does not eat at Celeste’s because he doesn’t want to be bothered by people asking him questions about his mother’s death.
6. Meursault stays in bed until noon, then he rises, eats, cuts an ad out of a newspaper, and sits by his window looking down at the street scene below.
7. Meursault watches an assortment of people pass by on the street below his window.
8. The tobacconist sits astride his chair with his folded arms resting on the back. Watching from his bedroom window, Meursault sits on his chair the same way, imitating the man.
9. The football fan calls up to Meursault: “We licked them!” Meursault calls back “Good work!”
10. Meursault has never cared for Sundays. They disrupt the perfunctory routine of his day-to-day existence.