The Stranger by Camus Novel Test
by Michael Stultz, M.A.
- Release Date: February 12, 2019
- Subjects: Language Arts
- Age Levels: Grade 12
- Define the term “existentialism” and connect it what we have read.
- Define the term “antihero” and connect it what we have read.
- What are the three characteristics of an “absurd hero”? Explain each.
- What are the three translations for the title L’Étranger? Explain each.
- QUESTION: Why does Camus have his main character find this newspaper clipping under his bed? What does this say about what Camus and Mersault believe?
- Find foils (or opposites) for Meursault in both Part I and Part II of the novel. How is each character different than Meursault? What situations reveal these differences? (Write in paragraphs. Be specific.)
- How are the three deaths in the novel connected in terms of cause and effect? Do any of the deaths lead to another death? Why? Use examples from the novel.
The Stranger by Camus Novel Test - Short Answer / Essay - for Honors/AP