Part 1 Questions and Answers
1. Explain why Benjy cried when the golfer called, “Here caddie.”
2. What was Luster looking for by the stream?
3. When Caddy and Benjy passed the pig pen on Christmas Eve, why did Caddy say the pigs were upset?
4. Why, as children, did Caddy and Quentin think they would be whipped?
5. Why did Caddy climb a tree?
6. What did Benjy think of Caddy after she had climbed the tree?
7. What did Uncle Maury have Benjy deliver?
8. Why was Benjy’s name changed?
9. Why did Benjy withdraw from Caddy?
10. What was unusual about how the man on a swing with Miss Quentin was dressed?
1. Benjy cried because the word “caddie” was like the name of his sister who had left her home.
2. Luster was looking for a lost quarter by the stream.
3. Caddy told Benjy the pigs were upset because one of them had just been slaughtered.
4. As children, Caddy and Quentin thought they would be whipped because Quentin had knocked Caddy down and she had muddied her drawers.
5. Caddy climbed a tree to see if the adults were having a party or a funeral.
6. After Caddy had climbed a tree, Benjy thought that she smelled like trees.
7. Uncle Maury had Benjy deliver a letter to Mrs Patterson, with whom Uncle Maury was having an affair.
8. Benjy’s name was changed because people realized he was retarded and, in consequence, did not want him named after Mrs Compson’s brother.
9. Benjy withdrew from Caddy because she had used perfume and no longer smelled like trees.
10. The man on a swing with Miss Quentin wore a red tie.
Part 2 Questions and Answers
1. What did Quentin do with the watch from his father?
2. What, for Quentin, was the significance of the month of June?
3. What did Quentin tell his father that he and Caddy had done?
4. What did Quentin enclose with the suicide note to his ¬father?
5. How did the Compson family pay for Quentin’s tuition to Harvard?
6. What reward did a store in Boston offer to anybody who could catch the giant trout?
7. Where did the three boys go after they gave up the idea of catching the trout?
8. What did Caddy do to Natalie, the girlfriend of Quentin?
9. What did Dalton Ames do with his gun after he had demonstrated how it worked?
10. What is the last thing that Quentin does before going out to commit suicide?
1. Quentin broke the glass of the watch, then tore off the hands.
2. Quentin called June “the month of brides,” thinking of the wedding of his sister Caddy.
3. Quentin told his father that he and Caddy had committed incest.
4. Quentin enclosed the key to his trunk with the suicide note to his father.
5. The Compson family paid for Quentin’s tuition to Harvard by selling the piece of land known as “Benjy’s pasture.”
6. A store in Boston offered a fishing pole worth $25 to anyone who could catch the giant trout.
7. After they gave up the idea of catching the trout, the three boys went to a mill pond to swim.
8. Caddy pushed Natalie down a ladder.
9. After he had demonstrated how it worked, Dalton Ames offered his gun to Quentin.
10. The last thing Quentin does before going out to commit suicide is to borrow a brush from Shreve and clean his hat.
Part 3 Questions and Answers
1. Why did a teacher from Miss Quentin’s school call Mrs Compson?
2. What did Caddy say she would do if Jason did not reply to her letter by April 10th?
3. What was Jason investing money in?
4. Why, especially, did Jason hold a grudge against Caddy?
5. How does Jason let Caddy see her infant daughter?
6. How does Jason manage to obtain the money that Caddy sends for the care of Miss Quentin?
7. What does Uncle Maury request of Jason in his letter?
8. What does Jason do when he sees Miss Quentin in a car with a travelling entertainer?
9. What does Jason learn every time he goes into the telegraph office?
10. What does Mrs Compson think Miss Quentin has been doing in her room at night?
1. A teacher from Miss Quentin’s school said Mrs Compson’s granddaughter had been absent far too much and was close to being expelled.
2. Caddy said that if Jason did not reply to her letter by April 10th, she would come down herself and see that her money was used to buy Miss Quentin an Easter dress.
3. Jason was investing money in cotton.
4. Jason held a grudge against Caddy, especially, because her husband, Herbert Head, had promised Jason a job at his bank but failed to make good on his pledge.
5. Jason passes Caddy in a carriage and holds up her infant daughter for her to see.
6. The checks that Caddy sends for the care of Miss Quentin are made out to Mrs Compson. Jason obtains power of attorney from Mrs Compson, cashes the checks and keeps the money.
7. Uncle Maury requests that Jason give him money from Mrs Bascomb’s account, allegedly for an investment.
8. When Jason sees Miss Quentin in a car with a travelling entertainer, he tries to follow them.
9. Every time he goes into the telegraph office, Jason learns that his investments have lost more money.
10. Mrs Compson thinks Miss Quentin has been studying in her room late at night.
Part 4 Questions and Answers
1. What does Jason think at first when he finds that the window of his room has been broken?
2. What does Jason call Mrs Compson when she is slow about giving him the key to Miss Quentin’s room?
3. What does Mrs Compson look for when she learns that Miss Quentin is missing?
4. What does Jason do as soon as he gets into Miss Quentin’s room and finds the bed has not been slept in?
5. What does Luster tell Dilsey about Miss Quentin before they go to church?
6. What did Mrs Compson ask for after Dilsey returned from church?
7. Why did the sheriff refuse to help Jason pursue Miss Quentin and the travelling entertainer with a red tie?
8. Why was Jason so upset about the loss of his niece and of the money?
9. Where did Jason expect to find his niece and the man with the red tie?
10. What first starts Benjy crying in the afternoon?
1. When Jason finds the window in his room has been broken, he first thinks that Luster and Benjy are responsible.
2. When she is slow about giving him the key to Miss Quentin’s room, Jason calls Mrs Compson an “old fool.”
3. When she learns that Miss Quentin is missing, Mrs Compson looks for a suicide note.
4. When Jason gets into Miss Quentin’s room and finds the bed has not been slept in, he runs to his room and checks the box where he keeps his money.
5. Before they go to church, Luster tells Dilsey that Miss Quentin climbs out of her room on a pear tree every night.
6. After Dilsey had returned from church, Mrs Compson asked for a Bible.
7. The sheriff refused to help Jason pursue Miss Quentin and the travelling entertainer with a red tie because there was no proof that they stole the money.
8. Jason was so upset about the loss of his niece and of the money because they symbolized compensation for the job and the opportunities which had been denied him.
9. Jason expected to find his niece and the man with the red tie in the car which he had followed the previous day.
10. Benjy first starts crying when a golfer uses the word “caddie,” reminding him of his sister.