Chapter 6 Questions and Answers
1. According to Milkman, what vices has Guitar given up?
2. What does Guitar say about white people as a race? Does he believe all white people have the potential to kill?
3. Does Milkman “buy into” Guitar’s views of white people? Why or why not?
4. What does Guitar say about the Mafia and the Klan?
5. What historic names does Guitar cite as potential killers?
6. Why did Robert Smith commit suicide and why did Henry Porter try to?
7. What does Guitar mean when he says of Robert Smith, “we do that rather than crack and tell somebody?”
8. Can Guitar have a family life as a member of the Seven Days?
9. What does Guitar say when Milkman says that there’s “no love in it,” referring to the Seven Days?
10. Why does Milkman “take Guitar to task” when Guitar says “we don’t off Negroes”?
1. According to Milkman, Guitar has given up “smoking,” “fucking,” and “drinking.”
2. Guitar says that as a race, white people are “unnatural.” He believes because they’re “unnatural” that any one of them has the potential to kill.
3. No, Milkman does not agree with Guitar. He thinks Guitar is unfairly stereotyping white people.
4. Guitar says the Mafia “kills for money,” and the Klan “kills for fun.”
5. Guitar cites the names of John F. Kennedy, Albert Schweitzer, and Eleanor Roosevelt as historic figures who would kill black people if the opportunity arose.
6. Robert Smith and Henry Porter tried to commit suicide because they were Seven Days’ members, and the responsibility got to be too much for them.
7. When referring to Robert Smith, Guitar means that Seven Days’ members would take their own lives before betraying their cause.
8. No, as a member of the Seven Days , Guitar cannot marry or have children.
9. Guitar tells Milkman that the Seven Days is about love. Guitar says, “It’s about loving us. About loving you. My whole life is love.”
10. Milkman criticizes Guitar when Guitar says, “We don’t off Negroes” because Milkman has said to him, “You can off me.” Rather than think of Milkman as an individual, Guitar categorizes him first by what race Milkman is.