Chapter 4 Questions and Answers
1. What are some of the metaphors Milkman uses to describe Hagar?
2. What one gift that Hagar receives is especially out of place in her house?
3. What book does Pilate read?
4. What happens to Pilate’s mouth when she is upset?
5. Why does Reba want to be a patient in a hospital?
6. Does Guitar like Honoré? What does he call it?
7. What does Milkman equate being serious with?
8. What are some of the violent flower images the narrator uses to describe the garden in Milkman’s dream?
9. Who does Freddy say killed his mother?
10. Who else besides Guitar does Freddy say should know about the “strange things” going on in town?
1. Milkman refers to Hagar as “his private honey pot” and “the third beer.”
2. The one gift Hagar receives that is especially out of place in her household is a bathrobe, because she has no bathroom.
3. Pilate reads a fourth-grade geography book.
4. When Pilate is upset, her mobile mouth becomes still.
5. Reba wants to go to the hospital because she thinks it’s a “nice hotel.”
6. Guitar doesn’t like Honoré. He refers to it as a “nigger heaven.”
7. Milkman equates being serious with being “miserable.”
8. Some of the violent flower images the narrator uses to describe Ruth’s garden are the “bloody red heads,” and “the bobbing snapping heads” of the flowers with “their soft jagged lips.”
9. Freddy says that ghosts killed his mother.
10. Freddy tells Milkman that besides Guitar, he should ask Corinthians about the “strange things” going on in town.