Chapter 14 Questions and Answers
1. Why doesn’t Susan Byrd tell Milkman the truth about his family in front of Grace Long?
2. According to Susan Byrd, what is Jake’s last name?
3.Who did Solomon leave behind when he flew back to Africa?
4. Approximately how many families consider themselves the kin of Solomon in the town of Shalimar?
5. What place besides the town is named after Solomon? What is its significance?
6. What other reason does Susan Byrd give to explain why Ryna lost her mind besides the reason of “love”?
7. How does Susan Byrd explain to Milkman why the children’s song says, “Jake the only son of Solomon?
8. Who took care of Jake after he slipped out of Solomon’s arms as Solomon flew back to Africa?
9. Why did Jake have to register at the Freedmen’s Bureau?
10. What does Milkman say when Susan Byrd offers to get Milkman’s watch back?
1. Susan Byrd doesn’t tell the truth in front of Grace Long because Grace is a “gossip.”
2. Susan Byrd tells Milkman that Jake didn’t have a last name because he is “one of those flying African children.”
3. Solomon left his wife, Ryna, and 21 children behind when he flew back to Africa.
4. More than 40 families in the area consider themselves Solomon’s kin.
5. A big double-headed rock over the valley is named after Solomon because it’s where Solomon took flight to Africa. It’s called Solomon’s Leap.
6. Besides love, Susan Byrd reasons that Ryna must have lost her mind because she had 21 children to care for by herself.
7. Susan believes that the song says “Jake the only son of “Solomon” because Jake was the one Solomon was trying to take with him when he flew back to Africa.
8. Heddy, Sing’s mother, took Jake into her home after Jake slipped out of Solomon’s arms and fell to the ground.
9. Jake had to register at the Freedmen’s Bureau because he had been a slave.
10. When Susan Byrd offers to get Milkman’s watch back from Grace Long, Milkman tells her “never mind.”