Part Four, Verses 88-101, Lines 2212-2630 Questions and Answers
1. What does Gawain hear after he first arrives at the Green Chapel?
2. Where does the Green Knight first appear?
3. How does the Green Knight cross the stream?
4. What does Gawain ask after he has greeted the Green Knight?
5. What does Gawain do when the Green Knight first lowers the ax?
6. How does Gawain stand when the Green Knight lowers the ax a second time?
7. What does Gawain see after the Green Knight lowers the ax a third time?
8. For what does Gawain reproach himself?
9. What final request does Gawain make of the Green Knight?
10. What do Gawain and Bertilak do as the part company?
1. After he first arrives at the Green Chapel, Gawain hears the sharpening of an ax.
2. The Green Knight first appears above Gawain, on the opposite bank of the stream from him.
3. The Green Knight vaults over the stream on his ax.
4. After he has greeted the Green Knight, Gawain asks that the Green Knight cut off his head quickly with a single stroke.
5. When the Green Knight first lowers the ax, Gawain flinches and looks up.
6. Gawain stands still as a stump of a tree when the Green Knight lowers the ax a second time.
7. After the Green Knight lowers the ax a third time, Gawain sees his blood glittering in the snow.
8. Gawain reproaches himself for showing cowardice and covetousness by taking the sash offered him by Lady Bertilak.
9. The final request that Gawain makes of the Green Knight is to learn his true name.
10. As they part company, Gawain and Bertilak embrace and kiss.