Ideas for Reports and Papers
1. Many Native American communities identified themselves with totem animals such as the beaver or the turtle. What was the significance of these animals?
2. Research and report on the initiation ceremonies of Native Americans, in which a child passed to adulthood.
3. How were log cabins like that of Matt's family built? What tools were used?
4. What chores were young people in colonial America expected to perform? How might they spend a normal day?
5. How were holidays celebrated in the families of pioneers?
6. How was work divided between men and women among the pioneers? Among the Native Americans?
7. What impressions did the colonists have of the Native Americans? How did Native Americans regard the white men?
8. Write a sequel to the story in which Matt and Attean meet again many years later. How have they changed? Can they still be friends?