Last Updated on July 29, 2019, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 288
- Sue Monk Kidd's The Dance of the Dissident Daughter: A Woman's Journey from Christian Tradition to the Sacred Feminine (1996) is an account of the author's spiritual development that suggests an autobiographical component to Lily's development in The Secret Life of Bees. Kidd describes her dissatisfaction with the conservative Southern Baptist faith in which she was raised and her embrace of a feminist spirituality.
- To Kill a Mockingbird (1960) is the only novel by Harper Lee. Like The Secret Life of Bees, it is the story of a young girl coming of age in a racially divided Southern town. It won the Pulitzer Prize and was adapted into a popular, Oscar-winning motion picture in 1962.
- Marina Warner's Alone of All Her Sex: The Myth and the Cult of the Virgin Mary (1976) offers a different perspective on the Virgin Mary than Kidd's in The Secret Life of Bees. Warner, who is also a fiction writer, discusses many symbolic usages of the image of Mary throughout history, including Black Madonnas, and argues that most portrayals of Mary in the Catholic tradition have been used to make women feel inferior.
- Voices of Freedom: An Oral History of the Civil Rights Movement from the 1950s through the 1980s (1989), compiled by Henry Hampton and Steve Fayer, is the companion volume to the PBS series Eyes on the Prize. It offers firsthand accounts from real-life counterparts to Rosaleen and Zach Taylor, African Americans who stood up for their rights to vote and patronize public establishments.
- Robbing the Bees: A Biography of Honey—The Sweet Liquid Gold That Seduced the World (2005), by Holley Bishop, is a history of beekeeping, a description of life inside a hive, and a personal account of the author's obsession with bees and honey.
Unlock This Study Guide Now
Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now.
- 30,000+ book summaries
- 20% study tools discount
- Ad-free content
- PDF downloads
- 300,000+ answers
- 5-star customer support