A Rose for Emily eNotes Reading Response Prompts
- Release Date: February 18, 2020
- Subjects: Language Arts and Literature
- Age Levels: Grade 10, Grade 11, and Grade 12
- Pages: 9
- “A Rose for Emily” is set in Jefferson, Mississippi, the fictional small town that figures in much of Faulkner’s work; the time period is a generation or two after the Civil War. In Part I of the story, Faulkner introduces the town itself. What is your first impression of Jefferson? How would you describe it?
- The story is told by a first-person narrator who is not identified. (Let’s assume the narrator is a man.) What can you deduce about the narrator based on what he has to say? Do you think he will be a reliable narrator? Why or why not?
These eNotes Reading Response Prompts are designed to encourage your students to read more effectively and with more pleasure by giving them interesting subjects to write about after they have read. Many of the prompts will take them directly into the text, while others will give them an opportunity to express their thoughts and feelings and to reflect on their own experiences.
A second purpose of the eNotes Reading Response Prompts is to facilitate instruction in ways that work for you in the classroom. The organization of the prompts makes them easy to use, and the content and construction of the prompts are designed to develop students’ knowledge and academic skills.